Austen S loves Popsicles!

Austen S is a classmate who I got to know better this year through... YOU GUESSED IT, my HSIQ project. Again, a special bonding experience that really cannot be described or replaced. Austen has always been very kind and reliable when it comes to our HSIQ project, and for that reason and for my curiosity in every classmates' relationship with food, I emailed him my standard questionnaire for my classmates. Austen said in his email that his answers wouldn't be too exciting, but upon reading his responses, I actually found his answers some of the most amusing! Please enjoy:

Growing up, who made food at your house? What did they make and what was your favorite thing to eat?
My mom, stepfather, and my grandmother. They made macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, broccoli casseroles, hamburgers, sweet potato, couscous, chicken curry, red beans and rice. My favorite thing to eat was a Popsicle.

How has your diet changed since that time? Why?
I eat less meat now mainly for health and environmental concerns.

What made you start cooking? What was it like when you first started cooking?
I don't really cook. When I try, it's much like my experience in O-chem labs - poring over the recipe and taking forever.

Who do you cook for and why?
Occasionally I try to cook for Grace or family. It can be fun. :)

Do you have any special philosophies on the groceries you buy or the food you decide to eat?
In general, "eat to live."

Where are your favorite places to go out to eat or order in--every day and special occasion?
Every day: Chipotle, Brassica, Mazah. Special occasion: Zen Cha, Marcella's, Ocean Club

What's your favorite food?
Fruit smoothies.

Any food/cooking related special thoughts or memories that you just wanted to share?
Every day in college at least one of my meals consisted of a mound of salad atop one or more slices of pizza. : X

A reflection...

In the first post of this blogging project, I said that food has always been an easy way for me to understand and relate to people around me...