Zach T has been through a lot of smoke and burnt pans!

I discovered that Zach T was a foodie when I realized that he was a fellow Yelp-reviewer, and I confronted him in the elevator in Prior about it. Finding a fellow Yelp-reviewer is kind of like finding a shared special hidden society of "foodie" people, and it was very exciting--I think my excitement likely overwhelmed Zach. Since then, we continue to have a friendship where I essentially talk at him and he patiently listens, and I ask him about any new food finds he might have. Here, he graciously addresses my questions:
  • Growing up, who made food at your house? What did they make and what was your favorite thing to eat?
    • My mom and dad both rotated cooking depending on who was home. They made a mix of American and Filipino dishes. My favorite food was probably when my dad made a Filipino breakfast (rice, eggs, and spam)
  • -How has your diet changed since that time? Why?
    • I've moved to a more vegetarian diet since then.  Also, much less Filipino food at home.  Struggles of dating a vegetarian.
  • -What made you start cooking? What was it like when you first started cooking?
    • ​I loved trying new restaurants and had a few favorite dishes I always craved. So I figured, why not learn to make it at home so I can eat those dishes whenever I wanted. First starting was a struggle. Lots of smoke and burnt pans, but it was always a lot of fun.
  • -Who do you cook for and why?
    • Mostly for myself, friends, and family. I find it really fun to try new recipes and see how people react, whether good or bad
  • -Where are your favorite places to go out to eat or order in--every day and special occasion?
    • I love Lalibela and SGD Tofu house.
  • -What's your favorite food (home cooking or pure trash hehe)--like the food that makes you totally swoon.
    • Really good BBQ ribs followed by a warm chocolate chip cookie.
  • -Do you have any goals for the next couple of years that are cooking/food related?
    • I'd love to get better with improvisation and 'cooking from the hip' without recipes.

A reflection...

In the first post of this blogging project, I said that food has always been an easy way for me to understand and relate to people around me...