Clair S knows the secret to the most amazing grilled cheese!

Clair S is another classmate in my advanced competency and also graciously offered to help out my project. I knew Clair early on in medical school because I realized that she was actually in one of my undergraduate neuroscience seminars (though she may not remember it!), so it was cool to be in the same Advanced Competency later in our medical school careers. Additionally, Clair is pursuing my same specialty (psychiatry!) and we also got to work on the same HSIQ project that I mentioned with Fenil, so we share that same special HSIQ bond! From our AC, I knew Clair liked cooking and I was thrilled to have her invite me over to her house as she fed her sourdough starter and made some rosemary sourdough crackers with the extra sourdough! Her crackers were wonderful--kind of reminded me of a crunchier and slightly thicker wheat thin, and she showed me pictures of her sourdough bread and my mouth watered from the pictures. Below, some of what we talked about:

On her sourdough routine: I usually make sourdough bread and a batch of rosemary crackers at the beginning of the week (I eat the crackers with soup). You have to feed a sourdough starter, and you end up with extra sourdough that I'd otherwise have to throw away if it wasn't for the crackers.



On her classic go-to foods and go-to cookbooks: Butternut squash recipe--I buy it frozen from Costco and it is so easy to use in food, a lentil loaf from the Tulane culinary medicine class, black beans with smoked paprika and cumin. For cookbooks, I love Ottolenghi's Plenty, and the Moosewood Cookbook. Davin just got me Ottolenghi's Simple and I have a lot of recipes bookmarked to go.

On her ultimate goal in her food life: I want to be good at improvisational cooking, the kind where you aren't just reading from a cookbook. I'd also like to be inspired by local and sustainably farmed food. I recently read Omnivore's Dilemma and they were talking about polyphase farming, which is basically what all the millennial people with goats are trying to do--everything very intentional and cyclical, not just a monoculture. So I guess good food locally, with improvisation and a minimal impact on the environment.

On becoming vegetarian: My family is very food oriented, and I remember bonding over good food growing up. We would go to a fancy steakhouse on Tuesdays in grade school. I actually became vegetarian when I was 13 for environmental reasons, and I've stayed vegetarian since. I don't even remember breakfast sausage.

On having her boyfriend move in on the floor below her: Davin moved in downstairs two months into our relationship but it's been really wonderful since we cook back and forth together. We recently perfected a stuffed pepper recipe with Arborio rice and beer. Davin used to just make salads and tabbouleh and falafel, and then I loaned him a cookbook and he started cooking, and now I would say he's just as good at cooking as I am, but not as good at baking.. to be fair though, I haven't really eaten baked goods that I didn't bake myself since college, so I've had a lot of practice. For Valentine's day, he made cheese and halloumi carrot fritters, which turned out really well.

On the food that makes her swoon: I made the most amazing grilled cheese the other day: Shaved gruyere with mushrooms, butter and marsala wine. It was delicious.

I'll admit that after Clair mentioned this combination of foods, I craved that exact mix and bought gruyere, mushrooms, butter and wine the next day to make my own sandwich. It truly was amazing.




A reflection...

In the first post of this blogging project, I said that food has always been an easy way for me to understand and relate to people around me...